Everyone knows about Google and google docs. It is an online word processor. Includes a web-based google docs editor, and that too without any cost. Google docs also have Google slides, Google sheets, Google forms, Google drawings, Google keep, etc.
This is an online application or the web-based application. Available on the mobile app on android and iOS both. You can use it easily on the desktop as well. Google Docs is a powerful word editor tool that is free and robust.
The most powerful feature of Google docs is that it allows its users to create and edit word files or documents online when all its readers can notice all changes at that time only. Google docs contain many editing features, which can be edited any time and anywhere. The best thing about Google Docs is its compatibility. It is compatible with any platform and on any device.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
How to add line numbers in Google Docs?
However, there is a lack of Qcommon features such as line numbers. If you are required to insert or add line numbers, Google Docs does not have this as an in-built feature. You need to download a separate extension from Google Chrome Web Store. There is an extension for Microsoft Edge as well. Google Docs brings many exciting features such as support for its keyboard shortcuts, compact view mode, insert a watermark, etc.
Line numbers in any document allow you to specify the position of the paragraphs or the lines within that document. This is a beneficial thing. It will enable you to make references so that others can quickly identify your particular point, line, or paragraph.
If you are also facing the problem of adding line numbers and searching for them, you are reading the excellent article. Because in this article, we will tell you everything about google docs, including adding the line numbers in a google doc.
Benefits of Google Docs and adding line numbers in google doc
As we told you earlier, google doc is a handy doc, which allows users to make changes there only, and everyone can notice them. Moreover, there will be no need to send the updated document again and again because they are already getting the updated one.
A few benefits of using google docs apart from this are as follows-
- Minutes of meetings.
- We are moderating students’ work.
- Ease of collaboration & PowerPoint presentations.
- Access your work from any device.
- Automatic saving.
- Policy development.
- We are creating everyday assessment tasks.
Now we will tell you the benefits of using line numbers in a google doc. This can be explained to you by an example. Suppose you are a student and you have to write many essays. Then you will need to add points to that. But google docs does not have this feature directly like Microsoft word.
The drawback of Google Docs
Published or shared files are only accessible by Email, so one must have an email account. If the internet is down, you cannot work on the documents. Offline access has been taken away temporarily from Google docs. Some users find Google Docs more challenging to learn and use than MS office. One must have signed up to be able to use Google Docs.
How to access Google Docs?
We need many things to access google doc, and these are as follows:
- Internet connection
- Web browser
- Gmail account
Adding line numbers in Google Docs
One of the best benefits or the features of Google Docs is that you can use it on your mobile phone and PC. So now we are going to explain you.
By using your PC:
When you’re on your computer system, you can open Google Docs in two ways. The first option is to visit its official website and click on “Blank” to open a new document.
- First of all, you’ll have to open an existing or a new text document;
- The other step is to highlight the text that you want to turn into a numbered list;
- After highlighting, press the “Numbered list” button or hit “Ctrl + Shift + 7” on your keyboard, which gives you a bunch of options;
- You can select any numbered list depending on your needs. Once you choose an option, Google Docs will turn your highlighted text into a numbered list.
By using a mobile device:
If you buy an Android phone, the chances are that it will have Google Docs as a default application.
- Start by opening the Docs application and then open a document;
- Then, you have to select the text that you want to make a numbered list out of;
- Once that’s done, click on the button with an “A,” which should give you a bunch of formatting options;
- Next, you must click on the paragraph tab and then the numbered list button shown below;
- You have now made a numbered list on Google Documents by telephone.
Adding line numbers in your document allows you to specify the position of the lines or paragraphs within your paper. This is useful for several reasons. First, it will enable you to reference that line (e.g., line 15) so that other people can easily find it.
Chrome / Browser extension
Browsers are software applications that allow you to add new features to your browser and customize it. For example, you can add an extension that will enable you to suspend tabs when you are not using them, significantly improving your browser’s speed. There are various extensions out there for different browsers (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, etc.).
Line Numbers for Google Docs
Line Numbers for Google Docs is an extension created by the line numbers app.
- It allows you to number your lines, and you can also print your document and export it to a different format (e.g., PDF) with the line numbering.
- You can also format your text into columns and number lines in each column using this extension.
- The extension also allows you to start your numbering from one on every new page.
- Another benefit this extension gives you is customization. For example, you may change or format the line numbers by changing their color, font, size, etc.
- You can also add any divider between the numbers and text.
Following are the steps to insert the line number in Google Docs Documents
Step 1: Install the extension:
Launch Google Chrome. Click on the three vertical dots located at the top right corner of the browser—click Settings.
Step 2: Open your Google Docs document.
- Now, click on Chrome Web Store, located in the left panel.
- And then, you can straightaway open the Chrome web store.
Step 3: Now, click on the Line Numbering icon and sign in to your Google account.
- In the search box, type Line numbers for Google Docs.
- Select the extension from the search result.
Step 4: After that, click on the Line Numbering icon again and enable line numbering.
Click on Add to Chrome. Then click on Add Extension. Open Google Docs. Their extension will be added to Google Docs format as a separate button. If you cannot find it, try to click on the down arrow. Then, Click on Line numbering. You may be required to sign in using your Google account. And once you do it, line numbers will be inserted in Google Docs very easily.
Step 5: Customize the line numbering.
There are many options for you to customize your line numbering:
- You can either choose ‘Continuous’ or ‘Restart Each Page.’ The first option continuously numbers every line in your document, while the second option starts the first line of each page from 1.
- You can also decide whether or not you want to include blank lines, headers, and footers in your numbering. And if you have columns in your document, you can select them too. Usually, excluding blank lines from line numbering is far better, giving your copy a cleaner look.
- You can also change the font and color of your numbers and add and format borders. However, these options are available to premium subscribers.
Since Google Docs doesn’t have an in-built line numbering feature, you must install the Line Numbers for the Google Docs Chrome extension. You can now download it very quickly from the Chrome Web Store and sign in to your Google account to start using it.
The main benefit of this extension is that it provides customization- you can format various aspects of the line numbers (e.g., exclude blank lines) to suit your needs. And on the other hand, if you want to number your paragraphs or lines and don’t want to use an extension, you can convert your entire document into a numbered list.
Aayush Kumar Gupta is the founder and creator of ExploringBits, a website dedicated to providing useful content for people passionate about Engineering and Technology. Aayush has completed his Bachelor of Technology (Computer Science & Engineering) from 2018-2022. From July 2022, Aayush has been working as a full-time Devops Engineer.